Living Abroad Pre-Departure List

Coming from Hong Kong, I felt inspired to start a 'mini blog series' of all the things I learned and share that knowledge with you. Preparing for an abroad trip definitely needs some advanced planning, especially if you plan on living in another country. Consider my list I compiled for your preparation:

Travel documents

Double check what documents you need which includes passports and visas. This should be the first thing you do before planning a trip! Also, take advantage of traveling outside the country you will be living in. I had plans to head into mainland China whilst I was in Hong Kong, but the visa fee steered me away.

Mobile Plan

All major cellphone plans have an international plan at your disposal- usually expensive. Yes, I am looking at you Verizon. Alternatively, you can use another phone and have prepaid data on it or just buy a SIM card and use it on your current phone. Depending on your budget and how long you will be staying overseas, you will have to determine which option is best for you. SIM card was my option!

Flight baggage details

If you do not get anxiety when you are packing for a trip then you are a champ. Make sure you understand the ins and outs of the baggage allowance for your airline. Let's avoid those overweight charges! I would also consider packing a baggage scale for your return flight home.

Tip: Make sure to not over-pack so you can have room for souvenirs! This is what I mainly use my carry-on for.

International adapter and converter

Okay, bear with me while I get technical. For my trip to Hong Kong, not only did I need an adapter, but I also needed a converter. Compared to the states, the voltage output is less than Hong Kong, i.e if I plugged in my hair straightener without a converter, it will blow up (Okay, okay it won't actually blow up, but bad stuff may happen). Luckily, electronics nowadays, especially iPhone/iPad chargers, have an input of 100-240V (in Hong Kong their input is 220-240V), so all you would really need is an adapter and you would be good to go. This is the adapter I used!

As for a converter, it is only necessary if it is below 240V. You can go as far as buying a two-step converter (adapter + converter). I purchased this one here. Before you purchase one,  please really do some research. Some converters CANNOT handle electronics such as a hair dryer, straightener, steamer etc. Their wattage is too powerful for these guys. I had to leave my beloved behind, but honestly having naturally curly hair and Hong Kong's constant humidity be a thing, leaving my hot tools was easily a smart decision.

United States uses type A and B plugs; off-hand I know Japan and Mexico uses the same, but most countries vary from plug types A-O. Check out this site for a full list.

If you just read that thinking what? Allow me to break it down:
*starts millie rocking*

Do you need an adapter? The answer is always yes (with exceptions).
Do I need a converter? Only if you have an electronic plug that is 100-140V. You can find this information on the charger/plug itself. But again, since plugs/chargers nowadays are 100-240V, you will not need one. Just an adapter.
So if I buy a converter, I would also need an adapter? Yes, which then I would recommend getting a two-step converter.
What if I decide to not use a converter with my low voltage electronic and just stick with an adapter? I promise you, you will do permanent damage.

Consider travel insurance 

Travel insurance is relatively affordable - all of course depending on the plan you chose. For my insurance, through the company I was with, I pretty much paid $1 a day for it.

Be familiar with the culture

When traveling, being respectful is the upmost important. Taking a few minutes of your time to learn their culture, can certainly help with, hmm, how do I put this lightly....-making you not look like an ass? I learned this the hard way when I was given a poncho to wear as I walked through a mausoleum in Turkey. Definitely more shameful than the good ole' 'walk-of-shame.' Aside from attire, understanding the tipping culture, hand gestures, and overall manners, is important.

Make sure to call your bank

Banks deactivate debit and credit cards when they detect unusual activity to prevent fraud. Last thing we need is your card not working. Do notify your bank to prevent this before leaving and do not try calling when you are in line about to board the plane which I definitely did not do.

I am unsure about other banks, but for Chase, I am able to add a "travel notification" onto my account via their app. Hooray for not wasting time while being placed on hold!

Bear in mind:
  • Consider bringing a card with no foreign transaction fees to avoid additional fees. Chase Sapphire is a popular one.
  • Bring a good amount of cash and simply exchange it. Avoid hotels and airports if you can since their exchange rates often are the worst.

Health: Prescriptions, Vitamins and Vaccines

In the midst of hoping you do not forget something, make sure you put your health as a priority. Stock up on your prescriptions and vitamins to insure you keep yourself in good health. Check out Passport Health for all information on health risks and vaccines recommendations. They also help you find clinics.

Pack your favorite snacks

Nothing more will make you feel at home with your favorite snacks packed up with you on your trip.

Happy travels!

No comments