Being Vegan in Hong Kong

My family and friends were concerned that I will starve living in Hong Kong. In all honesty, it is not that different from living in the states.  I actually found it a lot more easier especially since dairy is not common in their diet. Only thing to look out for is seafood that can pretty much are sneakily in most of their dishes. Also, totally helps how everything is in English.


Something I would highly recommend is downloading 'Happy Cow'.  The app does cost $2.99, but you can go on the web and utilize it for free.

Happycow Logo

I took note of the spots (more like screenshots) I found and ventured out. Here are some popular vegetarian/vegan spots in Hong Kong that I had the opportunity to check out:

Note: all prices are in Hong Kong dollars.

Where to eat:

Veggie SF
On the 10th floor you will find this gem. I want to emphasize 10th floor because running around in circles, trying to figure out Google maps, getting a headache due to the confusion - I want to prevent this for you. The decor is interesting, quite different and not from your "average vegan restaurant" - based on 1950's. I loved it! Pretty pricey for the amount of food (avg. meal were about $150-$170) you're getting, but enjoyable.

Beef & Liberty
A place where your meat lover friends would also enjoy. This restaurant is known for their burgers. They only have one vegan burger option, the impossible Thai burger. You do have freedom to customized your burger with an impossible burger patty and a vegan bun - both are available upon request.
I had the opportunity to try out the Impossible Chili Cheese Fries (shout out to Kimi) and it was to die for. A little on the pricey side, but if you are in a "treat yo self" mood, then GO FOR IT.
Unfortunately, none of the burgers come with fries and one simply does not eat a burger with no fries. The basic fries they have on the menu are $31. As a french fry concessionaire, the size of those fries were awfully small for that price.

Pure Veggie House
A range of modern and vegetarian Asian cuisine. Many vegan options, but a bit pricey and small portions.

MUM Veggie + Coffee + Sweet
Small nice vegan/vegetarian café in Japanese style presentation located in Wong Chak Hong. Pretty down south on Hong Kong island, but definitely stop by if you are around.  The big menu was intimidating, but the cashier was kind and my heart rate deescalated once she indicated she understands English. You have choices from 15-17 dishes to make a combination of 2-4 course, package with soup and tea. I am sure she saw my eyes widen when she indicated my lunch meal was just $100. That is about $12.00USD!


There are definitely more restaurants for you to check out. I just did not have the opportunity (or the fund) so check more. A simple Google Search or a search on Happy Cow can bring you to other gems! The ones listed above is definitely worth checking out.

Where to shop:

If you are looking for snacks or for some actual grocery shopping check out these places that have an abundance of options!

Green Common
They have quite a bit of locations so I would recommend checking out their site for that information.

Pacific Place Food Hall
Located in: Pacific Place
Address: LG 1, Two Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong

A.k.a The Holy Grail. Pacific Place is an upscale mall and at their bottom floor you will find the "Food Hall". They carry a ton of organic foods and snacks - pretty much like a Whole Foods and Trader's Joe. I am a lover of Daiya and they pretty much carry just about every product of theirs.

Farm Fresh 330
18 Harcourt Rd, Admiralty, Hong Kong

Head to Admiralty station Exit A to find yourself getting lost within variety of shops- which actually leads to Pacific Place, but if you reach here, you have gone too far. Among these shops you will find this little grocery store that is low-key a gem! I wish I could honestly tell you the exact position of it, but I found it through sheer roaming. When you find the store "Miniso" turn the next left and you will spot it! It is not necessarily for just vegans, however all their products are organic and you will find many vegan options - I would say 90% of their food products are. This was my spot for some veggie dogs which were about $40.


As you can see, there are quite a bit of options! You will be juuuuust fine. When in doubt, just play it safe and stick to what you know.

No comments