Best Apps for Vegans

I have been a vegan for over a month and the transition was rough for me because I felt super unprepared with the lack of knowledge. Not knowing what food products are considered vegan friendly, I turned to my lovely iPhone for some help.



I have downloaded numerous of vegan friendly apps, and these are the one's that are I found quite useful with a special appearance from Master Chief.

(All apps are free in iTunes Store and Android)


1. ShopWell

Honestly, I think this is the only app you need in your life. There are so many apps that can scan an item and inform you if it is vegan or something you should avoid. This was best. This app receives frequent updates which is always a good thing. You can edit your profile and add the foods you want to avoid; you can point and easily scan a product. Not only is the scanner very crisp, but it also rates how good of a match that product is for you based on what you inputted in your profile....BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE: it also gives you healthier alternatives!


2.  Foursquare

I have downloaded a few apps that have the ability to search for nearby vegan restaurants. However, they all ended up sucking. I always found my way going back to Foursquare and honestly it is the best app ever. All you do is type in "vegan" in the search bar and search away.

Bonus: "Happy Cow" is an app that serves as a vegan and vegetarian restaurant guide, but it costs $4. I have not tried it out because you have to pay, but it has great reviews. Maybe you can give this a try!


3. Cruelty-Free

An app that contains a directory of beauty products that do not participate in animal testing. But let us not forget that cruelty free and vegan free mean two different things! Cruelty-free= no animal testing. Vegan= contains no animal ingredients or by-products. If you would like to know if the product is vegan, you will need to do further research.


4. Vegan Alcohol

*bows down to this app* If you are a drinker this app is a MUST. I honestly was unaware alcohol products may have contained animal by-products, but surprise, surprise some of them do. Although, there is an app, I would highly suggest visiting their site which is Barnivore. The website is constantly updated and they have most drinks unlike the app- which appears that it needs to be updated. If not, you the power to email the company yourself and ask! which is what I did for a beer! :)


If you know any other apps, that are awesome and vegan friendly post it in a comment below! :)

No comments